• This forum is currently in Read-Only mode and will not accept new threads, posts or responses.

To Sign Up for the New Forum, click here: https://www.cco.us/cco-forum/

Preferred Dictionary

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I was at a garage sale and saw a medical dictionary. I'm kind of kicking myself now for not picking it up as I think it would be coming in handy for my studies. I did get curious and search Amazon for medical dictionaries and came across this title: Coder's Dictionary 2013: Defining Medical Terms from a Coding and Reimbursement Perspective. http://www.amazon.com/Coders-Dictionary-2013-Reimbursement-Perspective/dp/1601517106/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361825226&sr=1-10&keywords=medical+dictionary+2013

It says its temporarily out of stock. But I also found a similar title for 2012 (publishers Ingenix)
http://www.amazon.com/Coders-Dictionary-2012-Ingenix/dp/1601515065/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361825723&sr=1-1&keywords=Coder's+Dictionary+2012

This got me wondering how many of you use a medical dictionary or "coder's dictionary"? Do you have a favorite? Do you use or prefer an online medical dictionary instead?

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I have several medical dictionaries: Stedman, Mosby, Dorlands, and Tabers. I try to get an update copy every 5 years.

Ruth Sheets

CCO Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I use http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/ but I also refer to a hardcopy version, namely, Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary. The important thing is to use something that can quickly and reliably answer your questions.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I was curious about checking out the ones written specifically for coders. I splurged and bought a used 2011 one today . Didn't quite want to fork out the amount asked for a 2012 when I'm not sure just how specific to the coding and billing environment they really are. Know what I mean? (I once saw a chair, saddle style. It was being sold as a Saddle Stool, Stylist's Stool, Artist Stool (tattoo), Massage Stool, but it was all the same stool. However, the price was different depending on who they were targeting by changing the name. Especially when they titled it Ergonomic Stool- that brought the price up almost another $100 for the exact same chair from the exact same manufacturer using the exact same materials.) There are no helpful reviews on these dictionaries either. That is why I'm asking for input from anyone who has or is using one.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
I use http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/ but I also refer to a hardcopy version, namely, Merriam-Webster's Medical Desk Dictionary. The important thing is to use something that can quickly and reliably answer your questions.
I have that site bookmarked and used it the other day to look up something unfamiliar to me on an exam. Like you say "quick and reliable" is important.

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
When I entered nursing school, one of the required textbooks was Taber's Medical Dictionary. I have continued to use it through my career and updated with a new edition every couple of years. It is a great resource for allied health personnel. After I started working as a nurse, I discovered another medical reference book, The Merck Manual, mostly written for physicians, but I have learned a lot from it. It is still published and now also has an edition published in layman's terms.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I also bookmarked this website to use for future reference, but sometimes you want to look up a medical term in a book because there may be pictures of what something looks like.

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Yep. For sure kicking myself for not picking up that medical dictionary at the garage sale. I may just have to scout the Goodwill-like stores in my area to see if it got hauled off to one of them. It was only two years old I think.

Oh, so here's my early impression of the Coder's Dictionary I got used for only $10. It might be comparable to say....reading a Reader's Digest version of a novel. It's about the size of a trade paperback. The illustrations are black and white sketches. The majority of illustrations are anatomical- very few procedural. Don't get me wrong. I'll be getting some good use out of it until I get a non-Reader's Digest version.

But what I'm saying is, if you already have a good medical dictionary like Taber's, Stedman's, Dorland's, etc. you will not need to buy a coder's dictionary. Also, if you do not already have a good medical dictionary you are probably better off passing on the "Coder's" titles.

I think my illustration earlier of the barber's stool/ ergonomic stool definitely applies to the coder's dictionary. For e.g.: Looking at the Amazon search for "medical dictionary" the coder's dictionary is between $99 and $170 new and $0.1 to $80 used depending on the year. A regular medical dictionary is between $20 to $60 new depending on year and accompanying hardware. Used ones are about $8 to $35.

So, it looks like they slapped "coder" on there to attract a certain audience and added a considerable amount more $$ to the asking price.

Lori Woods

Staff member
Administrator
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
CCO Support Staff
MTA Student
ICD-10-CM Student
PPM Student (CPPM®)
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
CCO Practicoder
PBB Student (CPB™)
ICD-9 Student
PBMA Student (CPMA®)
ICD-10-PCS Student
HCC Student
I was just asked this question today which dictionary. I have two a Mosby's to go with my flashcards & a Tabors because it is smaller.

Michele

CPC
Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
I was at a garage sale and saw a medical dictionary. I'm kind of kicking myself now for not picking it up as I think it would be coming in handy for my studies. I did get curious and search Amazon for medical dictionaries and came across this title: Coder's Dictionary 2013: Defining Medical Terms from a Coding and Reimbursement Perspective. http://www.amazon.com/Coders-Dictionary-2013-Reimbursement-Perspective/dp/1601517106/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361825226&sr=1-10&keywords=medical dictionary 2013

It says its temporarily out of stock. But I also found a similar title for 2012 (publishers Ingenix)
http://www.amazon.com/Coders-Dictionary-2012-Ingenix/dp/1601515065/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361825723&sr=1-1&keywords=Coder's Dictionary 2012

This got me wondering how many of you use a medical dictionary or "coder's dictionary"? Do you have a favorite? Do you use or prefer an online medical dictionary instead?
I use Taber's Medical Dictionary - it also came with the DVD version you can use for a year. I travel for my work so having the DVD on my computer when I'm flying saves me from extra weight toting my Medical Dictionary in my carry-on, and I can still use it as a quick reference at a clients location. When I'm home there is just something nice about having the book in my hands - I can't bring myself to go totally "techie" I guess!

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Well, I think my "coding" dictionary has redeemed itself. I was doing some workbook exercises when I came across an unfamiliar-to-me acronym: IUGR. I looked in my new Mosby's. Not there. I looked in my Webster's Medical. Not there. But it was in my Coder's Dictionary. And yes, I know I can Google, and would have if I didn't find it when I did. I still believe in practicing old-school methods of research in addition to modern methods.

kayal

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
I still the total experience of looking something up in a book, also. There's is always something special about the total experience of a book, be it from the touch of the paper, to the smell of a new book, to the visual and mental stimulation of the information that is gained from a real book, whatever kink of book it may be.

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I found the acronym IUGR in Stedman's Medical Dictionary for the Health Professions and Nursing dictionary. It stands for intrauterine growth retardation.

Linda

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
Still love my miller Keene from nursing school. I think it is what ever we learn with first remains the favorite. But now for coding I use online info it is faster and have the different usages of the term. I do love the smell of a new book too. But also love office supply stores. I can wonder in one for hours. So I have to go by myself. Hate clothes and house shopping, but love office store. Crazy I know. :)

Luna

Blitzer
PBC Student (CPC®)
CCO Club Member
FBC Student (CPC-H®)
Still love my miller Keene from nursing school. I think it is what ever we learn with first remains the favorite. But now for coding I use online info it is faster and have the different usages of the term. I do love the smell of a new book too. But also love office supply stores. I can wonder in one for hours. So I have to go by myself. Hate clothes and house shopping, but love office store. Crazy I know. :)
Call me Crazy too then. You sound like you could be my twin. No. No. I take that back. You could be my triplet. I'm already a twin. ;)

Carolyn Heath

Blitzer
CCO Club Member
CCO Practicoder
I also just found, out of curiosity, the same acronym IUGR in Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary, Edition 21.